Every year at Vul-Con (a Star Trek convention in Vulcan, Alberta), there is always something that surprises me and keeps me coming back – usually it is the people, but sometimes it’s just the pull of the little town feeling. Vulcan is just outside Calgary and has a rich history dating back further than the Star Trek fanfare it is known for today.
So, after coming to the event for the last four years, I decided that it is probably time that I get into uniform – despite my sci-fi geekdom, I haven’t truly gotten into the spirit of this convention just yet but became inspired to cosplay when I came across a Starfleet jacket design on Pinterest (Original Artwork by GaugeX). This was the piece that called to me. Sleek in design and subtle enough to be a jacket that I could wear even outside of my cosplay world. I just knew we had to make it.
It was a long process because we had to design this jacket from scratch. First, I drew it out in a sketch book to determine the pieces we would need – that part was the easiest.
Drafting wasn’t too hard either since we use the power of technology to speed our process. The problem was we have never made a jacket like this before, so we ran into a few hiccups with the measurements. We crafted two draft patterns before starting on on the jacket itself.
If I had to speak out about one thing that I had to really focus on, it was sleeves. Sleeve curves are one of the most difficult things that I have ever dealt with in sewing so far. Though by the end of this, I think I got the hang of it. Learning through deadlines really burns it into the brain.